Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Grandma's Fresh Strawberry Glazed Pie

Today, my mom gave me a beautiful pint of sweet, handpicked strawberries and the first thing that popped into my head was Grandma's Fresh Strawberry Glazed Pie! This pie has been a family favorite for years and is simple to make. I will give you step-by-step directions but before we do, take a look at the finished pie! Here it is chilling in my fridge!


INGREDIENTS:

• 9" baked pie shell
• 1 pint fresh strawberries
• 2 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
• 1 Tbsp. butter
• 8 oz. cream cheese at room temp. (spreadable consistency)
• 2 Tbsp. milk or cream
• 1 cup of sugar
• few drops red food coloring (today, I didn't even use it because my berries were so red.)


DIRECTIONS:
1. Bake pie shell and cool.

2. Wash, strain and hull strawberries.

3. Put aside a 10-15 washed and hulled berries for the bottom of the pie.

4. With the rest of the strawberries, crush with a potato masher or whirl in blender until crushed.


 5. Combine sugar and cornstarch and stir into crushed berries. Add 1/2 cup water as well.


6. Over low heat, stirring constantly, bring to boiling. Mixture will be thick. Add butter and cool.


7. Meanwhile, make filling. Combine 8 oz. soft cream cheese (room temp.) with 2 Tbsp. milk or cream. Spread over bottom of cooked pie shell before adding strawberries.




8. Arrange berries on top of mixture and pour cooled glaze over strawberries.

I would love to hear about how much you love this pie! It is definitely one of my favorites!
Enjoy and BE INSPIRED!

6 comments:

Clare said...

Val, wasn't there some sugar in the strawberry topping that you cook? Check the recipe, I thought there was. Love, Mom

Valerie said...

Yes, I just added it. 1 cup of sugar! Thanks for letting me know.

Delaney said...

This looks delicious! Now following you thanks to the blog party you co-host!

Patricia said...

I bought strawberries today for shortcakes. Must say yours looks better. Thanks for co-hosting the blog hop Mingle. Following you on GFC. Stop by and follow any way you like.

http://itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com/

Sarah North said...

Yum!!! Happy to be your 100th follower! :)

Sarah North said...

yum! Happy to be your 100th follower! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...