Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Second Hand Rose: A Guide to Garage Saling!

'Tis the season for one of my all time favorite hobbies: GARAGE SALING! Fall is the perfect time of year to get out and about in your local neighborhoods to seek out some new treasures! Grab a coffee to go, a wallet full of dollar bills, your old reliable GPS and a full tank of gas!

Why do I love it so much? Well, there is a definite thrill of the hunt and excitement of the find but it is more than just that. It's finding things that are able to be repurposed in my home, finding things that I wouldn't normally buy for full price but have the luxury of purchasing for ten cents on the dollar (give or take).

Let me tell you a secret.....if I am looking for the perfect...whatever...I ALWAYS, ALWAYS find it at a garage sale. I have such a hard time paying full price for anything because I know it will show up at the next garage sale that I go to....and in great condition at that!

So, who was the one responsible for instilling in me this great yearning for wanting to get out of the house on a Saturday morning by 8 am and sort through other people's junk? It was my mom, of course! Before the days of GPS, she would gather newspapers and printouts of the local sales. Then she would get out her Hagstrom map, a bunch of sticky notes and stick them on the map with tiny little circled numbers to plot out the perfect garage sale route for that particular day! This was done EVERY WEEKEND!!! My mom always boasts that her house is furnished in "Garage Sale!" and now I do too!

Why am I telling you this??? My mom and I are going to share with you some of the all time garage saling tricks-of-the-trade! We will give you the inside scoop on how to go about doing it, some tips on buying and bargaining as well as share with you some of our best finds!

Stay tuned so you can BE INSPIRED

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...