Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Martha Stewart Craft Show


This past weekend my mom, dad and I took a trip into New York City. Amongst many other stops, our last was The Martha Stewart Craft Show, which was the initial reason for our venture into the Big Apple. With stops at Bryant Park, Chelsea Market and a couple of cab rides we finally arrived to find ourselves pretty chilly amongst many other people waiting in line with us to get into the craft show! We waited about 40 minutes to get into the building and then another 20 once we stepped inside.

The show was a crafter's delight! Paper crafts, crocheted scarves, spun cotton figurines, hand-sculpted pottery, silkscreened dishtowels, gyotaku prints and so much more hovered around the open spaces in the Starrett-Lehigh Building.

The chandeliers that hung high amongst the white washed walls were created out of strands of silver mylar--a very "Martha" touch! It wasn't until I got right under them that I realized that they were not really made out of crystal! Amazing!

The show was inspirational because it provided ideas that the everyday crafter is able to recreate. I purchased a Martha Stewart Snowflake hole punch and I am now in the process of making a snowflake garland, which I will be posting on the blog as soon as it is complete.

So, all-in-all, it was a fruitful adventure and I hope to attend again next year...better yet, I hope to sell there next year! I hope you can make it too!

Now the "mom" version: I also had a great day. Spending time with my daughter and my husband (yes, he is a very good sport to take us scampering all over NYC!) was a day well spent. I have to add that my son-in-law is also a great sport since he stayed home and babysat 15 month old Charlie! We explored many different areas of NY and really enjoyed seeing all of the sights! I was excited to see what crafts "Martha" would be featuring. I especially enjoyed the "spun cotton" figurines and have decided that I have to teach myself that new craft! Being there made me realize how much pleasure people get from handmade and homemade items. The people that displayed their goods were as pleased as the people who came to see the displays. I came home with an awesome hand-crocheted scarf/hat combo that is absolutely beautiful and was very reasonably priced. I could not resist buying some of the Martha Stewart craft materials either. What I really appreciated was that they offered them at the same sales prices as you would pay for them at Michaels with a coupon. Needless to say, I bought several things to add to my collection of craft supplies. Now I better get busy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...